Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Baseball? What is baseball?

Now that I have been all away across the pont for 3 1/2 weeks, I can regrettably say that I have fallen out of touch with baseball. Much of this is due to the fact that my New York Mets have been out of the playoff picture for a solid month. When I was thinking about how I would follow the game from afar, I wasn't sure what to do. I could buy mlb.tv for the month of september, but I didn't want to pay to watch meaningless Mets games, especially when at times the lineups they put out on the field would struggle to be in a AAA playoff race. I turned my hopes to the countless pubs in Galway, only to realize that all the games would be starting around midnight. Besides, I have only found one pub so far to show American sports. (Garvey's, in Eyre Square for any of you who may travel here in the future.)

It was at this time that I realized my interaction with the 2009 MLB season would be coming to an end on August 31st when I boarded the plane. Now a good portion of this is because of the two reasons I just discussed, but I think there may be more to it than just those two. Right now there is only one real race going on, and that is in the AL Central, where the Tigers are up by a few games on the Twins. Neither Wild-Card race is particular close, and most of the divisions are already comfortably wrapped up. There aren't any individual feats worth checking in on each day, either. How I miss the days of steroids, where the whole country would check in on Sosa and McGwire each day, regardless of whether they were a fan or not. (Side note: I'm really unsure whether I am kidding or not with that last sentence.)

Anyway, Peter Gammons recently brought up an interesting thought on whether to add an extra wild-card team from each league. Yes, it waters down the post-season race and potentially adds a very mediocre team undeserving of a spot in the playoffs. However, it keeps fans' hopes alive a little longer, gives them a little more incentive to go to the games and spend their money. In the economic situation America is in, wouldn't this be a good thing for all parties involved? I'm not saying I know for sure, but it is something worth discussing. One thing I am sure of is that this will be the first October I am not particularly interested in what happens in the MLB playoffs. To be honest, I'm actually pulling for the Yankees because my best friend just scored an internship with them this past season and I think it would be cool if they won while he worked there. That is a scary thought, I'm actually a little hesitant to put it down in writing. Screw it.

For the hell of it, my picks:

World Series: Yankees over Dodgers
AL MVP: Mark Teixeira
NL MVP: Albert Pujols
AL CY Young: Zach Greinke
NL CY Young: Adam Wainwright

Heading off to Belgium and Luxembourg this weekend, expect an update on that sometime next week........

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't want you to miss out on the latest MLB while you're across the pond (AKA the Pont). All is back to normal ... the Yankees are the best team in baseball, the Red Sox are doing everything they can do to barely hang in there, the Cubs remain the nations little brother who everyone pulls for (except for other white sock), the birds of St. Louis continue to have the best fans, and the Commissioner continues his relationship with steroids as two ships in the night knowing that if he made his leagues stars and studs piss he would be left with something on the same level as the WNBA ... and I mean no offence to giant athletic lesbians on the juice ... their kind of sexy in a B women's prison movie on showtime after dark. If I were you I would see every Hurling, Rugby, Boxing, and "football" match I can. Enjoy your time away cause when you get back it will be the same as you left it. Except your room that is, Maggie has converted the entire upstairs into a Westfield Myspace consulting and grief counseling center. So far its just her and Billy but she is planning a huge marketing campaign for the holidays that may reach as far as Cranfield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a lovely friend. Thank you.

    Very well written, enjoy the travels.

    ReplyDelete