Saturday, September 5, 2009

Galway


Sorry for the delay in between my last post and this one, I have been busy settling into a new country and (attempting) putting my life together on the fly. Ireland is a fantastic place, especially the small city of Galway. The air smells fresh, everyone greets you with a smile, and no one honks at me when I cross the street at the most inopportune times. The food is a lot better than I was expecting and there is always something to do.




The weather is ridiculous though - when I say it changes 20-30 times a day, I mean it changes more like 10-12 times a day - which is still a lot. One minute it will be sunny and then a cloud will pass by and bring down a heavy rain for about 3-5 minutes. This process repeats itself throughout the day, meaning if you ever leave your place without a rain jacket you will inevitably be screwed by mother nature at some point throughout your day.



The pubs are all great, especially the one's with live music. There are so many that I don't even know if I will be able to fulfill my goal of stopping in every one at least once this semester. All of the bands have been very good and played a lot of American music as well. Some that I remember are like a rolling stone (bob dylan), american girl (tom petty), save tonight (eagle eye cherry), and galway girl (steve earle). One band did an excellent rendition of buffalo soldier too.



Tonight is the crucial world cup qualifier for Ireland at Cyprus and I plan on posting up at Monroe's and enjoying the full game and the buzzing atmosphere.








1 comment:

  1. Tom, great posts...glad to hear the trip is going well. Save some nice weather for me..I may be coming back next week for Ireland/Italy game.

    Johnny K

    ReplyDelete