Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Leaving for College

Last night I was the unfortunate witness of a catastrophe in my own house. It was the sight of 5 girls on one of their last nights together before leaving for college. When I had first returned from work my first guess was that either the Real Housewives series was cancelled, or someone had lost their favorite pocket book. I soon realized, however, that this was their send- off party for the first two to leave. It was a solemn night full of cries and forced laughs in an attempt to counteract said crying. The night culminated in a trip to the grammar school they all met up at many years ago. The place where it all began.

Don't get me wrong, leaving for college is not an easy thing to do. Leaving your comfort zone for completely new surroundings is by no means a walk in the park. I wanted to say something to try to lighten up the mood last night but I remembered that you need those last couple nights of crying and pure fear of leaving your friends to remind yourself how lucky you are to have them in the first place. If you don't go through a night like that, then I feel sorry for you. Whether it's with your friends, boy/girlfriend, or family - or all of them - the despair of leaving everyone behind is inevitable and there is just no way in the world to avoid it.

The hard thing to realize on those nights is that you are heading off to a place that you will learn to call home for the next four years. The supposed best four years of your life. After the goodbyes are said the new feeling is one of anxiety and great anticipation. The friendship you have spent years and years building up is going nowhere, other than a different place. The only thing that sucks is that everyone on facebook has to watch those brutal video messages where girls feel necessary to tell each other they're not doing their homework (as always), and they just have to talk because there is sooo much to catch up on (roommates!, boy!, parties!, class!). Yeah, you know the messages i'm talking about. God awful.

Anyway, the world is not going to end, Real Houswives will still be on at its normal time, and you just left your pocketbook in the passenger seat of the car of the boy who drove you home from the last party of the summer. That's something you'll have to worry about over Thanksgiving break - or you could just cut your losses and continue on with your life as is.

2 comments:

  1. MY NEICE THE NUGGET

    As someone who entered his freshman year in college on four separate occasions I do consider my self an expert on this subject. I too, like Tom had contact via phone with the group of "Girls Gone Child" that night. When my dear sweet god child Maggie got on the phone with me I really thought she was exaggerating her emotions. She was flat out balling her eyes out worse than a Kennedy out of vodka or a puppy at the Vick's. Now Maggie, Jeanne, and the girls tend to at times slip into one of their many alter egos so I thought perhaps Gertrude or Maxine or whoever took the helm of Margaret's brain was faking. When I realized that those tears were real it not only broke my heart but I was starting to get concerned medically. Although I did spend 8 years in college I'm am not a doctor, but I do have the Discovery channel. I understand that the human body is made up mostly of H20 and carbon. So as I helplessly sit on my phone in Charlotte, NC talking Maggs of the ledge I start thinking about the amount of tears she is purging. Then I'm thinking she's probably cranking out a chowder spoon full of tears every 70 seconds. At that rate she would completely run out of all bodies H20 in about 74 - 86 hours. The tissue would then quickly dissipate and the only thing left would be a little carbon nugget. Probably about the size of a chunky candy thing. I thought that might be kind of cool ... after all I miss her all the time and this way I could have the nugget mailed to me and carry it around with me. When I go out I could pull the Mag Nug out and put it on the table and talk to her about life and all things good. If I put my giant attic fan on with my windows open I could place her at the foot of a door so it wouldn't slam. We could work together, me as the mastermind and she as my paperweight. I could glue little eyes on her and she could be the Geico money stack's sidekick. Unfortunately for me she stopped crying so I'll stick to texting and the phone.

    Love your time at college because when its over you can't live at home again and all the bills are in your name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these authors my very own nephew TC and great nephew Fitz who seems to be following in his footsteps? Aunt T

    ReplyDelete